Friday, 4 March 2016

Interpretations

A lazy title, celebrating incoming post!




I come late to the Veera Välimäki / Joji Locatelli party.  Everyone and their great aunt seemed to be knitting Color Affection (or "Affliction" as it was dubbed) a little while back (there are 14,495 projects currently on Ravelry!), but I just didn't get it.
So Veera's first Interpretations collaboration with Joji Locatelli passed me by when it was released as an e-book back in 2014.

But I could not miss the news that there are now THREE volumes, published by PomPom Press in hard copy. 
Ooh!
There are patterns in all three books which attract me, but I am trying to be good.  We will see how long that lasts!
I started with Volume 1, which I bought from A Yarn Story in Bath, because I also "needed" the gorgeous Corriedale fibre in the top photo.


My first cast-on is the Make Space Cardigan.


I have had this beautiful yarn stashed away for far too long, waiting for the perfect project. 
It was hand-dyed by Yarn Pony, Mica, who is one of the organisers of the Edinburgh Yarn Festival.
"Something stripey" was the idea.


My plan is to start at the yoke with the lightest blue, with a transition to the medium shade, blending into the darkest (which is a midnight blue / charcoal variegated colourway) and using the sandy gold for the accent stripes.
I am very excited - I think it will be amazing!


It is incredibly freeing to feel emotion about wool and needles.

19 comments:

  1. Lovely lovely colours. I can't help when I see them (and those on your IG) feed, of spring!

    I am a newbie knitter and not at all "there" yet with the knitting brain. My little grey cells need to "bloom" a bit more!

    Enjoy your knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh - gorgeous! Love those colours - and just hoping I can nip into the EYF for an hour or two. Just for research purposes, you understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Research is very very important! I might see you there :)

      Delete
  3. love the colours. Was hoping to go to EYF but not going to manage as I am dog sitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to knit while you sit!

      Delete
  4. Those colors are amazing. I am sure you will enjoy that cardigan. Do you ever sit outside and knit at work during lunch. I used to read just to get away. Sitting there in my coat, hat, and gloves, just to get a bit of time away from fellow workers and to see a bit of the sky.

    LindaC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good point! I tend to stay indoors and watch a podcast at lunchtime, but as soon as it gets a bit warmer I should definitely get some fresh air.

      Delete
  5. Fabulous colours and I am late to the party also. Have just cast on my first Boxy by Joji:) mindless knitting which is perfect for this time and doing the worsted version but actually using chunky James Brett marble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes - the Boxy! I really like the "Boxy with Buttons" (sic) version of that pattern :)

      Delete
  6. These look like such lovely projects!! Can't wait to watch their progress unfold :-). Hurrah for feeling emotion about needles and yarn! I never comment here as much as I'd like, but I read everything and think of you constantly. Glad you are exploring new routines, I imagine it could take some time to settle into this new life. We are with you the whole way. And if you don't mind self help-y ness, the book Transitions could be worth a look through?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation Jessica :)

      Delete
  7. Delicious colours, makes me I wish I could knit more than scarves and dishcloths!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can knit a scarf you can knit a simple sweater - just take it in stages and call it a modular project :)

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous colours - I look forward to see the finished projects! I have been obsessively knitting small cardis for my granddaughters dolls and cuddlies using up left over balls of wool.That has helped me get through Jan and Feb !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very satisfying to make dolls clothes - a whole new wardrobe in a weekend!

      Delete
  9. I'm late to that party too! But every time I turn around these days all I see is something by Joji or Veera. So I am interested to see where you go with all of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are everywhere... there is no escape :)

      Delete
  10. Oooh. They are lovely colours. I confess to not having heard of these designers or this yarn. Looking forward to seeing your masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a google of the designers - there are some amazing knits out there. The yarn is a bit of a rarity - I don't think Mica dyes any longer.

      Delete