Wednesday, 23 March 2016

Tasselations

Since last I showed you my knitting, I finished my Ellipses Shawl.
People, this is a seriously lo-o-o-ng scarf thing!
And it is all about the tassels!

I knitted it out of my handspun Popsicle fuzzlings from Fondant Fibre:  a merino / stellina mix which is predominantly grey/blue with flashes of neon pink and yellow.
It came out as a light and fluffy laceweight 2-ply with occasional slubs of dense colour.

I was determined to use all of the yarn so just kept knitting, even though I knew my scarf was going to be ridiculously long.

It was not easy to block, as it was very sensitive to pins.  I can see some strange lumpy edges in these pictures where it was distorted on the clothes-horse.  I tried to weight the edges with clothes pegs to open up the eyelets and give it more depth.
Hmmm.


Even without the tassels, it stretches to the moon and back :)
Which all adds to the fun of this piece of knitwear - nobody can feel down with a set of neon tassels to toss!


This is a picture of it wound round my neck three times.
Tassel number three is hiding round the back somewhere, waiting to pounce.

My trip to Edinburgh provided many hours of train knitting time.
I worked a little on my self-patterning sock, but I spent most of the journey knitting plain stockinette on the body of my Make Space cardigan, from Interpretations Volume 1 by Veera Valimaki.

It grew really quickly!


At the time of writing I have passed the waist and am heading down towards the garter hem at remarkable speed.

Now that I am knitting in two colour repeats, there is the added motivation of seeing just one more stripe appear before I stop for the night.

I am really enjoying knitting full-sized garments at the moment.  This cardigan promises to fit well into my everyday wardrobe.  It seems like all of the colours are denim-inspired:  from a light stonewashed blue, through a rich indigo, to a deep dark blue / black with narrow natural-looking stripes.
You will have to wait for pictures of those - it is too dark now.

I have my next sweater project bubbling away in my head already.
I plan to use the Wool Kitchen yarn I bought in Edinburgh as the basis for another Veera Valimaki design, True Friend.
It's funny - I didn't like that pattern at all until I bought this yarn and started to look for a pattern to make the most of it.  Then it suddenly seemed perfect!


I will have to add a third colour to ensure I have enough yardage for the sleeves. I was thinking magenta... so I ordered the wool straightaway to prevent me from losing momentum :)


20 comments:

  1. Your scarf is lovely! It suits you, and looks terrific. Very cosy!
    The cardigan looks fab too = those colours!
    An explosion of colour - it's beautiful to see.
    Lovely to read of your creativity, and pats to Hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl that is stunning!! Those colours are so vibrant. Love the length too K xXx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scarf looks fabulous! I wished I had gone to EYF...however I was dog sitting and could not make it.....next year hopefully....love the colours for your next project. I trust you are well. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zangmo - I definitely recommend a trip to EYF :)

      Delete
  4. looks fabulous, the Edinburgh yarn fest looked so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really do have a great eye for colour. Lovely, lush yarns. Looking forward to seeing the completed knits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So stunning:) btw thank you so much for the parcel it made both our days xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amber and so glad it arrived safely and gave good cheer :)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful colours. Must be thrilling to wear your hand spun, hand knit shawl. Any intentions to raise sheep for your own fibre? ;>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha no this is a sheepless zone - they would only eat the trees! ;)

      Delete
  8. I love it! Wow.. and you are looking good too. I like the new blog! Have tossed around the idea of opening a blog myself, as I am starting to weave and spin more, so it could be fun. But then something holds me back... fear of ?? Opening up to the whole wide world?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne. Go for it! What is the worst that could happen? If you chicken out you can always take it down again :)

      Delete
  9. You look fabulous. I love your scarf, and your hair looks amazing! Wishing you well - I often think of you and hope you're ok xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - my hair?! Just when I was feeling a bit woolly-headed too! ;)

      Delete