Wednesday, 15 June 2016

Summer of Socks

How odd - the blog has turned into a parade of finished objects, with no indication of works in progress.
Maybe that all happens over on Instagram now, because it is so quick and easy.
I am Theroobeedoo if you are over there too.


Needless to say, life has been going on.
I try to stay away from The Archive, but sometimes it calls to me.

It was FL's birthday on Sunday, so I paid a visit to The Tree and planted more poppy seedlings, in the hope that a few will thrive.  There ought to be an entire poppy-field up there by now. Maybe they will surprise me next year.

I wrote to a girl, in the belief that he had an affair with her in the 1980's.  Just to let her know he was gone.
"If it had been me I would have wanted to know" is what I said.
I wrote it kindly, with good intentions.
No reply so far.
Either my super-sleuthing has traced the wrong woman, or she doesn't want to acknowledge the past. It doesn't matter.
But I meant what I said.  It was one of my greatest fears when we were apart, that he would die and nobody would let me know.
Now I am the keeper of The Archive and I feel a responsibility to tell the others.
Shrug.


Moving forward, I am looking forward to my first holiday on my own.
I am off to a knitting hotel by the seaside.
For realz.
I will tell you all about it when I get back.
It includes a trip to a wool festival - so exciting!
I aim to pack lightly, so it seemed like a good time to join the Summer of Socks Knitalong.
I can't imagine having the concentration to knit brioche in a group situation, so P-Rex may have to stay at home.
And my True Friend sweater has stalled at the point where I have pick up stitches along the side of the "bib".
I seem to be incapable of getting it right.
So it all about the socks, and the first Shawl Society pattern, Talisman, by Helen Stewart of Curious Handmade.

I am using a cake of gorgeous Urban Hints gradient by The Wool Kitchen, from Wild and Woolly Shop, in the colourway Indigo.

I am saving the cast-on for my holiday - woo hoo!

I'll buy you a stick of rock ;)






26 comments:

  1. Don't let responsibility weigh too heavy. Loving the idea of a knitting holiday. Your bags look full of beautiful wool. I have just started sock knitting. Your socks are inspiring thank you. Have a lovely holiday K xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a similar conundrum I'm pondering about letting a former love know about his death. One of the benefits/hazards of the internet is the ability to find someone so easily, even thousands of miles away. I oscillate, and have been side stepping by thinking I'll seek advice from his sons who knew her. Anyway, I understand your urge to do what you did. Do hope you have a really lovely holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly it - a few clicks of the mouse and 30 years vanish in an instant! It's good you have someone to consult. Thanks for the holiday wishes :)

      Delete
  3. Sometimes it may be better to just let things go. She may have moved on and feels content now and looks at the past as the past. She may not know how to respond or may genuinely not know how to feel. She hasn't been part of his life for decades and is sad for the man she once knew but doesn't have the faintest clue about how to feel about you or your loss.

    I would be at a loss of what what to say if I were her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it may be better to just let things go. She may have moved on and feels content now and looks at the past as the past. She may not know how to respond or may genuinely not know how to feel. She hasn't been part of his life for decades and is sad for the man she once knew but doesn't have the faintest clue about how to feel about you or your loss.

    I would be at a loss of what what to say if I were her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roo, I had an intense letter writing affair with a guy at uni in the early 90s. In real life it didn't work at all but we stayed important to each other for a while. I hadn't been in contact with him for a long time and had most definitely moved on. Then I heard he'd been killed in a motorbike accident in 2008. I was able to contact his brother and pass on condolences to his family even though I wasn't brave enough to go to the funeral. Sometimes I wish I didn't know he was dead because it would be easier to think he was living his life somewhere and had another forty years left on the planet. But even though I don't like it, I accept the reality and am glad I was told.
    Maybe this woman won't have a clue how to feel about the news and maybe she won't ever reply but I absolutely get why you contacted her.
    I hope you have a happy, relaxing holiday xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clarey - I agree she can choose whether or not to reply, but I wanted to give her that choice.

      Delete
  6. Have a most fabulous holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A knitting holiday sounds like bliss! That cake of yarn for your shawl looks delicious! I've taken up knitting socks this year by your inspiration, thank you. It's been so good for me. I admire your bravery in writing to the girl, of course she would want to know, I'm always wondering whatever happened to so and so from years ago, if it was in the eighties enough time has passed for her to be over any negative emotions and you have given her a chance to genuinely grieve. It's very noble of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a fantastic knitting holiday - I'd love to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello. A knitting holiday sounds like great fun! And, I'm so enjoying the Secret Shawl Society which I found out about thanks to you. The Talisman is a fun knit. I want to learn brioche knitting, some day. Take care, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased to be able to introduce others to the knitterly fun! :)

      Delete
  10. A knitting holiday! What a fabulous idea.

    About The Archive .... I've thought long and hard about whether or not to comment. Being an "other" myself a long time ago, I dont think it's your responsibility to tell "the others"; unless, of course, it helps you to move forward with your life. That's the important thing. You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mags. I think it does help me to draw the line under the past. She can choose to ignore me, but at least she will not be left wondering.

      Delete
  11. I think you did a very kind thing informing this person. There is someone from the early 60s that I wish often I knew what happened to him. Your point about drawing a line under the past expresses why I still wonder about him from time to time.

    LindaC

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are you going to The Westcliffe? I've wanted to go there for ages but I only live a few miles up the road so it isn't much of a holiday for me. Have fun and enjoy Woolfest (if that's where you're going of course)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi. Wonder if you can help me out. I have some lovely knit fabric and now that I have a coverlock machine to add to my overlicker I see many knits in my future,Renfrew being one of them. How did you finish the band's? I can imagine cutting self bands from the kknt for arms and neck but how to do the bottom band? Did you cut a self-band for this? If do,how wide? Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you got my reply to this... But I see you know the answer already! Happy sewing! :)

      Delete
    2. I didn't get the reply, but thanks on any case! I think I am going to try it in' normal' jersey rather than a stable knit, since I have the former and not the latter. I think that being on the upper end of size 14 that might minimize the problem (if there is one) in the different ease inherent in these fabrics. I have a shirt dress cut out and ready to see. Quite excited about it but also a bit worried that I will mess up. Slow and steady I think

      Delete
  15. Hi. That is what I get for making assumptions. I see the top had a self- band which is what I wanted. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a wonderful holiday, you certainly deserve it. I look forward to seeing the result on here!

    ReplyDelete