Tuesday, 9 August 2016

FO: Roberts Collection Pinafore by Marilla Walker

Slow sewing:  a concept which I admire but rarely manage to enact.

I tend to set aside a day to sew, in the expectation of a finished object at the end of it.
However, with so many essential DIY projects underway, a whole day of stitching felt like an extravagant luxury. 


Instead, I worked on this dress over a period of several weeks.

It came together gradually, with plenty of time to make decisions about details I might otherwise have rushed.

Stats:

Pattern:  The Roberts Collection Pinafore dress by Marilla Walker in size 2

Fabric:
About 1.8 metres of soft black denim - a sale bargain remnant from Sherwoods Fabrics for about £7.

A fat quarter of granny square crochet-print quilting cotton from the Riding Hood collection by Josephine Kimberling for Blend Fabrics to line the bib (from stash).

The inside details
Scraps of quilting cotton to line the pockets

Other:  2 wooden toggles (from stash).  2 script-painted wooden buttons (from stash).  Thread and interfacing.  Denim needles for my sewing machine.

I love the shape of the bib at the back!
Process:

Slow and steady stitching!

The only difficulty I encountered was due to the bulkiness of my straps.

Because I was using denim, I probably didn't need to interface them... but I did.  This was where I was grateful for my special Denim sewing machine needles - I only broke one :)

The resulting narrow thick straps posed a problem for the final fastening method:  I didn't fancy trying to hammer on a snap (popper) through all those layers.  I remembered seeing toggle fastenings on a beautiful Weaver's Apron at the Tall Yarns stall at Woolfest.

Detail of the Tall Yarns straps - picture from their website
My straps are not identical to the Tall Yarns version.

I made buttonholes on the bib of my pinafore (rather than on the straps), then sewed linen bias tape to the straps, threading it through the buttonholes and then the toggle-holes, tying it in a knot.

Toggle-tastic close-up

I discovered that I can get it on and off over my head without undoing  the straps, which is a relief as I think the tape would fray if I was having to undo it every time I wear my dress.
And no, my toggles don't fit through my buttonholes... because I made them too small.  Ahem.

Verdict?

I strongly suspect that this garment is going to become a staple in my wardrobe.

It bears all the hallmarks of a Roo Uniform: 
  •  dark denim which goes with everything
  •  hidden details that make me smile 
  • a strong shape to layer over and under according to the weather

I hesitated before wearing it in the workplace, but I think it will be fine except on days with formal Committee meetings in my diary.

Let's face it - I wear Doc Marten's almost every day, so I am unlikely to be sacked for sporting a couple of wooden toggles!

18 comments:

  1. It's ingenious and yes it's just so you K xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely, versatile and practical pinafore! I have made this in a printed denim and also the dungarees. I will probably make another pinafore as its so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a look - I do like your dress very much :)

      Delete
  3. I think slow and steady really does win the race. I just wish I could get started!

    Lovely outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. Very practical and comfortable yet also lots of character. Are you going to do the overalls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing about the overalls is that I can't wear them to work (no, really I can't) and I think I would find them too restrictive at home. But saying that, I used to live in them in the 1980's :)

      Delete
  5. Its gorgeous! As you say - something that will be worn again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that. I might use it to pop over my front before we sit down to eat. Presently I go and get a big all enveloping apron which I block printed with big free form stamps of sea creatures which I did in honor of the first family beach vacation.
    I have been wrapping up in it before dinner after I spilled soy sauce , and red wine and catsup and somehow even got blood on one of my light summer tops- not all at once. working on stain removal now

    Your handsome pinafore would be much more attractive for everyday and to wear out in public. Love those special touches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot to be said for an adult bib :)

      Delete
  7. I love that. I might use it to pop over my front before we sit down to eat. Presently I go and get a big all enveloping apron which I block printed with big free form stamps of sea creatures which I did in honor of the first family beach vacation.
    I have been wrapping up in it before dinner after I spilled soy sauce , and red wine and catsup and somehow even got blood on one of my light summer tops- not all at once. working on stain removal now

    Your handsome pinafore would be much more attractive for everyday and to wear out in public. Love those special touches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! I'm becoming more and more tempted by the pinafore idea again. I dimly remember wearing dungarees when I was a teenager, and I really dont need to go there again. A pinafore on the other hand - comfy, verastile, with pocketses - what is not to love?! You always tempt me with your wonderful knits and sewing projects. Really must find the time... (ahem, Olympics)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you can knit / sew while you watch! Pockets win me over every time :)

      Delete
  9. You look gorgeous! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very practical piece of clothing!! I love how it can be dressed up or down but still has that whimsy - the facing fabric & the toggles really make me smile!! I think it's a very good 'uniform' for work. In fact, I might even make one for myself.

    ReplyDelete