Sunday, 7 August 2016

Pencil Sharpenings

Time for a catch up.
Penstemon, Curry plants and St John's Wort in the Herb Garden
I have been a whirlwind in recent weeks:  painting, decluttering, organising.
The To Do List has taken a battering and I made a new one.

I have to remind myself of how much I have achieved so as not to feel overwhelmed.

Some of the greatest achievements were the smallest:  taking FL's Sharps Bin to the local pharmacy for disposal felt like a major step forward.

The living room
A recent visitor was surprised by how much lighter and brighter and bigger the house appears.

And it is.  The simple act of cleaning and making space has transformed the place.
There are pictures in the hallway and rugs on the floor.

My bedroom - with a rug!

This week, the Council is coming to clear the garage:  it will take two trips in a flat-bed truck.
Of course, the hinges broke when I tried to open the side door: another job for the To Do List.

View from the path to the Mither Tap, Bennachie
The Girl and The Boy and His Girl were here, and we walked up Bennachie.

There was more decluttering to be done in their rooms:  more bags for the Special Rubbish Collection - hooray!

The Artist Formerly Known as The Sofa of Doom
In creative news, I sewed a pinafore and knitted some socks and a shawl.
Those probably deserve separate posts alongside planning for my next projects.

Talisman Shawl

Right now, I am heading into the final 15% of my Amulet Shawl, the second project in The Shawl Society.  I have almost caught up:  the third pattern in the series was released this weekend and I am itching to get going on it.

Amulet Shawl with Boy-ish art
It is going to take some time to get used to being completely free:  no dog means no obligation to rush straight home after work.
I could go out in the evening if I wanted to.
I could go to the gym.
I could take an art class, join a Reading Group, sing in a choir...!

Me and The Girl - spot the difference :)
But while I gather my thoughts, I will continue to roam the fields with my audiobook or a podcast for company.
It is going to be fine.

23 comments:

  1. Your home is becoming yours and it's colourful and beautiful. You live in an amazing part of the world. Your shawls are amazing. Looking forward to seeing those blogged K xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - shawls coming soon when I finish the Amulet :)

      Delete
  2. So glad you are making your own home x it looks lovely and colourful ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
  3. The house is looking beautiful! And the shawls...one day I will knit a shawl, but in the meantime pictures like yours inspire me! Happy field roaming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen - shawls are not hard - do it! :)

      Delete
  4. This is awesome - you can see that your house is the metaphor for your mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... sort of mixed up and colourful?!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you for that - she doesn't believe me!

      Delete
  6. As you wisely say, freedom takes time to adjust into. When it happened to me, I felt like a little rowing boat whose anchors had been removed. All the possibilities in the ocean but I had to regain my sea-legs and let the waters calm so that I could row without capsizing. You have made a fantastic start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lovely way to describe the feeling - thank you :)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful home, beautiful daughter, beautiful part of the world! It IS fine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roo it made me so happy to read this post! Your house is looking amazing, the countryside glorious and your creative output very impressive. Quite amazing how clearing out clutter can also clear out head-space. You're doing so well xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adele - the power of a clean slate is not to be underestimated!

      Delete
  9. LOVE this post! Love the picture of the two of you! You have a lovely daughter, very pretty, and both of you have wonderful smiles. I am so impressed with your knitting and sewing progress, especially in the face of all the clearing and tidying, plus work. But mostly I am happy for you... you sound more peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne. Calm is definitely coming closer.

      Delete
  10. I am so happy for this post!
    The easiest thing in the world-having no obligations-, is not so easy as it seems, you have to get used to it little by little, and You are in the right path-I think!
    Being recently pensioned after 27 years of work, I feel a bit like you: free and happy, and in the same time a bit lonely and disoriented. But we are both optimistic and creative-arent we? :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemon, you say it so well:" a bit lonely and disoriented" yes! But also optimistic :)

      Delete
  11. Wow! Your girl looks exactly like you! Well done on your house transformation! So cleansing and energising! Keep going, it's going to be wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Loop and Bar - I really need blue hair though :)

      Delete
  12. It is going to be fine! Well said.

    ReplyDelete