Friday, 30 September 2016

Octobering

What is it about October that fires up the creative communities to start a celebration?
The fact that summer is over?  A new term begins?
That it is not actually the Holiday Season... but there is a hint of spice in the air?

Whatever it is, I am definitely up for it this year!

I am planning to take part in two seasonal escapades:  Inktober and Socktober.


Inktober is a drawing challenge.  Each day for the month of October, there is a prompt to inspire you to get out your ink and draw.

It is wonderfully meditative to sit by the window and just... draw.


Socktober is a favourite knitterly play on words.
Knit socks in October?
Absolutely, yes!
Several podcasters are organising sockish knitalongs for the month.
I have not yet pledged allegiance to any of them, but no doubt I will feel compelled to throw my socks in the ring of at least one Ravelry Group, once I decide which patterns I am going to knit.

I was lucky enough to win a prize in the Summer of Socks Knitalong, organised by Psychoknitter, Rae:  a gorgeous pineapple pyramid project bag and NEON stitchmarkers made by Little Grey Girl and fabulous Prosecco Sock yarn from Ginger Twist Studio.
So lovely!

If that is not an incentive to knit more socks, I don't know what is.


I just finished knitting a really fun pair, combining colourwork with self-striping yarn.

These are in the Longing For Gotland Pattern by Kammebornia.


The colourwork was knit using lime and coral oddments from the stash, with violet heels, cuffs and toes using West Yorkshire Spinners' (WYS) yarn in Blackcurrant Bomb.
The stripes are WYS Passion Fruit Cooler.

This was the first time I had used WYS and I found it softer than Regia or Opal.  I do wonder if I should have used smaller needles, as they feel a bit floppy and might stretch out in wear?

Whatever.
I love them and that's what matters!

11 comments:

  1. I'd like to knit some socks, am an experienced knitter on 2 needles but have never used circular needles. Is there a simple pattern you can recommend for a beginner sock knitter? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mindo, I use 4 or 5 dpns rather than a circular needle and I find that flows better for me. There are loads of simple sock patterns available. I like http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/vanilla-with-sprinkles
      but lots of people swear by this recipe:
      http://susanbanderson.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/how-i-make-socks.html
      Good luck! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I will take a look and take the plunge. Glad to know that circular needles are not needed.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous socks! And the drawing is good too. You are so talented Roo. I bought sock yarn earlier in the year ..... don't quite know where to start, but watch this space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned to make socks this year through Winwick Mum's pattern (I think on Ravelery, but you can just google too) There is a very supportive group on FB for it too!
    Roo, your socks are gorgeous!!! So not there yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely socks, I might have to give those a go.

    ReplyDelete