Thursday, 1 September 2016

The Last Week of Summer


Oh look - it is September!

It has been a beautiful summer.
Not just because there have been a few warm days, even in Aberdeenshire, but because I have been able to apply myself to the To Do List without feeling oppressed.  Or depressed.

Last week, I had a week at home to continue the sorting and the sifting, the clearance and the cleaning.  But it was also a week to develop new habits.

I tried out two very different exercise classes, and found one which promises fun with friendly people.  I went back again this week.

I put up a whiteboard... and used it.
I renewed the bathroom sealant (never again!) and struck that off the To Do List at last.
I didn't forget to buy bin bags and I remembered to eat the cauliflower before it turned to mush in the bottom of the fridge.  Woo hoo!

The Council cleared the garage:  three trips with a flat bed truck.
I filled the car boot with another load of Stuff for the tip and took it there.
And three bags full went to the charity shop.


I listened to an audio book: "The Strays" by Emily Bitto.

I made real progress on my knitting, my spinning and my cross stitching.

I put aside FL's prejudice against expensive magazines and bought a copy of Flow, in English.
And followed it up with the French edition, to get my brain back in gear.
And also the Flow Sketchbook, which is like having a self-guided art class on my kitchen table:  one step beyond colouring.  A little artistic challenge to ponder while I drink my coffee.


I went to a concert, all by myself.
I took my knitting for company and ignored the whispers from the silver-haired couples who made up the rest of the audience.
And then an artist set up her easel in the aisle next to me - ha!  That trumps knitting for odd behaviour in a public place!


I am not sure what it adds to the experience to record it here, but here it is.

18 comments:

  1. Sounds very productive 😊 may you continue to find pockets of happiness and inspiration every day x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful summer, momentous accomplishments. And I love that you share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK - this is inspiring me to get off my butt, take care of business and get back to being creative. Thank you!
    :-) Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspiring! I've just checked out 'Flow'; looks fantastic. I think will also indulge...where did you hear of it? All the best for a productive and enjoyable September. Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - I found an English language copy in my local supermarket. But if you read French, that edition has different content and I am actually finding it even more inspiring :)

      Delete
  5. Sums up a summer well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sums up a summer well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mm! Productive and cozy creative bits too! And a bit of social time... I miss that here, but I am starting to branch out. I just need to get my driver's license switched over eventually. It has been a challenge, the paperwork... but there is hope that in December I will be able to begin the process! All the paperducks should be in a row then... patience is key! So hurrah and oh it just sounds NICE. Deeply good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I discovered Flow magazine in NZ a few months back, and I love it. The sketchbook wasn't for me, but I found a happy home for it with another crafty friend. Sounds like you're getting very organized - it's lovely to hear of you doing new exciting things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Rejuvenation of Roo!
    Thank you for sharing your progress with us - it's a joy to read what you are up to, and heartening for one who has much to do, but not much inclination to do it. THank you for being inspiring.
    Peace and joy to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post, Roo! It's so uplifting! You are still emerging and it's coming on wonderfully! Well done on your clearing, I bet it feels better to have more space and to breath. The concert anecdote made me smile! I did a photo shoot in a public swimming pool once, with antique dresses underwater! That got a few looks! I love the look of that beautiful knitting, can I ask what it is? (the grey raglan twisty beauty!) Love seeing your updates and hearing how you are getting on, I've benn with your blog a long time, I'm happy to see you happy (well, happier :) ) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - the twisty knitting is the Thessaly cardigan from the latest edition of Pom Pom Magazine. Thank you for your kind words :) I love the idea of antique dresses in a swimming pool... though I can't imagine what effect the chlorine had on the fabric!

      Delete
    2. Wonderful to see you regrow and flourish.

      Delete
    3. Wonderful to see you regrow and flourish.

      Delete
  11. P.S thanks for the wonderful link to Flow - that is one for my list, for sure, it has provided the perfect answer to a small creative decision I have been pondering :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought one too! It is intriguing -- not sure if I am creative enough!

      Delete
  12. So wonderful to see your creativity blossoming again Roo long may it continue. Not heard of flow before, must check it out:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry to report that I saved my link to the newroo in the wrong spot, so I've missed several posts. Well done on your summer list!

    ReplyDelete