Saturday, 10 December 2016

Advent-ures: Number Ten, Vetebullar


Baking is not what it used to be.
The Great British Bake Off has a lot to answer for.

Back in the day, the simple fact of baking my kids' birthday cakes elevated me to the status of SuperMum, and it didn't matter in the least that the resulting edifice had an ominous dip in the middle that the icing ran into like a sugary swimming pool.

Nowadays, baking is a competitive sport.
And we all know how I feel about sport.

But I do like a sweet treat.
And my recent trip to Edinburgh and the Akva Bar reminded me how much I like Swedish Buns.
I didn't get one on this trip and I regretted it.

So I decided it was time to make my own.


I used the recipe for Vetebullar from Fika, by Anna Brones and Johanna Kindvall.

This was no quick sugar fix.
This was an investment of my Saturday morning.

But it was so worth it.

The whole house is infused with the smell of cinnamon and cardamom and that amazing freshly-baked-bread aroma.
Actually, it smells of Christmas.

Yum.





2 comments:

  1. I've been reading your blog for quite some time now, and today I was totally baffeled. Suddenly there was a Swedish word where I only expect English. I had no idea that the concept of fika had spread outside Sweden along with smorgasbord. Thank you for the tip about the recipe book. It could make a great gift for some of my English speaking friends. Your buns look so good I feel inspired to bake some myself. Merry Christmas to you from Maria in Sweden!

    ReplyDelete