Saturday, 3 December 2016

Advent-ures: Number Three, Porridge

If you had asked me a year ago what I ate for breakfast, I would have told you:
Toast.
Toast and marmalade, with a mug of coffee.
Or at the weekend:  scrambled eggs.

I would probably have told you I preferred a home-baked wholemeal made with Shipton Mill flour, but because I lacked time, M&S Miller's Blend was a fair substitute.
And I was rather partial to Bonne Maman marmalade.

Porridge?
Under no circumstances!
The smell was enough to send me out of the room in horror.
Salty oats boiled in water until they stuck to the bottom of the pan?
Just no.

And then I went to the Curious Handmade Country House Retreat.
There I discovered the joys of Bircher Muesli.
All sorts of grains and seeds soaked overnight in some kind of milk, served with fresh fruit?
Wonderful!
But when I tried to recreate it on my return home, it was just too cold to face.
I chased it around the bowl with a pointy spoon in dismay and disappointment.

Maybe... maybe I could warm it up a bit..?
And so it was that I discovered the joy of porridge.

It didn't take long for me to start experimenting with actual "recipes".
Anna Jones's Goodness Breakfast with Maple Pears   - yum!  With fewer sesame seeds.
Her Baked Apple porridge with almonds is another favourite, though I don't mess about with ovens or cashew butter.

But really, all I need is a couple of tablespoons of some sort of flakey grain muesli base (I am partial to this gluten-free one), an overnight soak in soya milk, and some fresh fruit.
Blackberries!  Mmmm!
Three minutes in the microwave while the kettle boils for a herbal tea.
Boom!
Breakfast.
It's a revelation.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely - apart from the herbal tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum. I don't eat breakfast (it's more of a coffee guzzle for me most mornings), but this looks wonderful...might have to convince the kids to try it for supper some night. I am enjoying your Advent-ures, Roo. Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jasmine! Yes - it is an anytime bowl in my house! :)

      Delete
  3. Yum. I bounce between toast and oatmeal, haven't done the latter in ages, but this is inspiring me to branch out further!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! Having options makes mornings so much more exciting!

      Delete
  4. Ive become a soak overnight porridge fan, i love mine with almond milk, chia seeds & fruit. Although do have tea with almond milk first thing - somehow just can knock a cup of tea to start the day habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almond milk? Haven't tried that. Is it nutty?

      Delete
    2. Not too nutty, almond milk porridge with honey and banana is a classic. Hazelnut is good if you want more nutty though :-)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for posting this - i'm going to try it with oatmeal & raisins & soy milk - plus I'll add some nuts & cinammon after microwaving :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to hate porridge. One reason I avoided it so long was that it reminded me of the poverty I grew up in. There are certain foods I won't eat because it seems that they were all I ate as a child. But now? Oh - some of the good things about winter is porridge for breakfast, home made soups for dinner, and all the tea I can drink.
    I like steel cut oats, mixed with yogurt and left to set overnight in the fridge - microwave, add berries and milk.
    Or Red River cereal, with yogurt instead of milk.
    Or regular porridge, with golden raisins and milk.
    Eggs (scrambled) are for Sundays - a big breakfast with bacon (or sausage), hash browns, toast slathered in butter, milky tea and a fruit salad.
    well - this is becoming its own post so I shall stop now.

    ReplyDelete