Monday, 10 April 2017

Living the Dream


Listen to this song... and imagine how you might dance to it...
Got it in your mind?
You are probably thinking something Latin, perhaps a tango?

OK - press RESET in your mind.
This weekend I took part in a two day Dance Bootcamp at Edinburgh's Dance Base.
Two full working days of dance workshops, in an astonishing range of styles from Ballet through Roaring 20's, Werk It, Afro Cuban, Contemporary, Hip Hop, Reggaeton and the gentle-sounding "Floorwork".

Floorwork... are you visualizing some lolling around on a yoga mat with deep breathing and whale song?
Ha!
Floor Work was Hard Work!
It was led by the amazing Chiara Pascale, whose dance style is hip hop based.
You can find her on YouTube - this is a good example of her work.

The Floorwork routine, to the accompaniment of  "Bust Your Windows", began with what I would describe as a full drop - not a technical dance term.
Basically, you go from standing up to lying flat on your back on the floor.
No mat.
And then you pull back up through your chest, twist, turn, roll, sideways plank, twist and turn a bit more.. and somehow find you are back up on your feet, taking a few salsa steps before performing a few more explosive movements... The End.

I began this routine feeling afraid.
Very  afraid.

I am not a natural hip-hopper.  I am too much of a wafter, up on my wobbly toes, with lots of expressive arms to distract from my uncoordinated feet.

But after about half an hour of feeling like a cissy, I let go and just... dropped.
Wow!
Empowerment!

I would bust the windows of your car, I really would, if I had to.  If you really pushed me.
Don't push me, dude.

And that was just one class.

The teachers at Dance Base were all incredibly inspiring and positive and inclusive.
We were a very mixed group of the young(-ish), the old, the pregnant (who did not "drop"!), the frightened and the confident.
But I think we all came out of the weekend feeling like we could save the world through dance.

I have never felt so alive.
Ever.
After the first 8 hours

Can I give up the day job and become a dancer?
Err...no.  I have no talent, technique or skill.
But I have ENERGY!
This is amazing to me.

If you get the chance to dance - just take it.
Go on - Bust Your Windows!



3 comments:

  1. thanks for posting this - very inspiring!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me smile so much! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another one for the "Dancing while cooking" playlist. Thanks Roo!

    ReplyDelete